Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Friends of the Smokies reports color still visible in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

 submitted by Holly Scott, Marketing Director, Friends of the Smokies
While the leaves have peaked in many park areas, color is still visible.  And fall is a great time for donning some layers and hitting the trails of the Smokies.  Temperatures are mild, and you can take in the sun's valuable Vitamin D before the REALLY short days begin.

Preparedness is the key to hiking in any season.  There are some great free resources online for locating trail information in the Smokies.  Be sure that wherever you hike, you take along a paper map of your route.  GPS devices, apps, and smartphones are terrific resources, but are not so user friendly if a battery dies, there is torrential rain, or you have an unforseen emergency and your companions (don't hike alone!) are unsure of how to operate your technology.

Visit  trail info websites,  call ahead (865-436-1200) or check the park's website to find out about road or trail closures, bear warnings, or even special programs in the park that could make your trip even more unforgettable!

When I hike, I always start by getting suggestions from other people about the area of the park I want to see.  Next, I consult my "little brown book" and map to read a description of friends' trail recommendations and gauge the elevation gain or loss.  (I also enjoy getting tidbits from History Hikes of the Smokies so that I can "Wow" my friends with fun facts!)  Sometimes I surf online to get info that may be timely about where I'm going.  And before I leave home, I check with the park to up my odds that most of my day's surprises will be pleasant.
For a more information and a

No comments:

Post a Comment